Frequently Asked Questions


At Deer Lake Manor, we understand that you may have questions about the process of moving into a Personal Care Home. Below you will find some of the answers to the most frequently asked questions.

The difference is in the ownership and the level of care available in the home. Publicly operated nursing homes provide on site professional health and nursing services; personal care homes are privately owned and operated facilities and provide assistance with personal care and activities of daily living and avail of visiting health professionals from the regional health authority.

Personal Care Homes are privately owned and operated residential homes for seniors and older adults who need assistance with daily living. Individuals who are admitted to personal care homes do not require on site health or nursing services but may require the service of a visiting professional. These homes are licensed by the regional health authorities.

Any individual wishing to reside in a personal care home must be assessed as appropriate by staff of the regional health authority. If a subsidy is requested, a financial assessment is completed to determine the amount of subsidy that may be available.

You must first contact your Community Health Nurse through your regional health authority. They will arrange for you to have an assessment completed which will determine if you are suitable to reside in a personal care home. Arrangements may be made to visit the home of your choice.

If you are a private paying resident the cost may vary depending upon the home in which you wish to reside. Prior to moving into a home you may request a financial assessment to determine if you are able to receive a subsidy as established by the province.

If you have less than the liquid asset amount allowed, your income (less some expenses or debts) will be taken into consideration toward the cost of your care and accommodation. If your liquid assets are above the allowed amount you are required to pay for the full cost. All subsidized residents retain $150 per month for personal use.

No, you do not have to sell your home if you move into a personal care home. However any income you receive from renting or selling your home may be considered in the financial assessment and may affect whether you receive a subsidy. A single personal care home resident is permitted to keep sufficient income to maintain their house for a three month period.

For further information on personal care homes contact your regional health authority.